I'm 19 and ever since I can remember I have been treading on eggshells with my mum. I didn't have a horrible childhood, my dad's around etc. I have a little sister, 3yrs younger. She has a BAD attitude. I wouldn't dream of talking to the parents the way she does. But I am always polite, have respect, do what I'm told when I'm told yet I always get put down by only my mum, told I'm stupid, always doing everything wrong...(my dad's at work all day). It has ALWAYS been this way for me and I've maintained a mask for 19 years yet I'm beginning to break. I'm still on probation at my first full time job and burst into tears for no reason. I get random suicidal thoughts, I self-harm, I have always been tidy, yet am cleaning everything from top to bottom every day like a psycho. I think I'm developing OCD? Everything has to be perfect and checked a million times. GP visit you think? I have been in a relationship for a year and I don't want it to effect us but my boyfriend is constantly seeing me in tears.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.