I'm not really sure if my boyfriend is abusive.
Everything was really nice in the beginning, he was a great boyfriend. But now he is always suspecting that I did something wrong, was flirting or cheating on him; and I don't get to see my friends anymore - if i ask, he gets mad. He is always implying that I am such a slut, and he's even called me that. He pushes me into doing things I don't want to. He says he's sorry after I start crying, but if I don't do it, he gets mad at me. He's always telling me I'm 'dumb' or 'stupid' or calling me an idiot when I have accidents, like dropping a cigarette. I have no privacy: he checks my phone, emails, everything. He even tried to go through my fifth grade journal. And if I simply want my privacy, he says I'm 'hiding something' from him and gets angry. I can't talk to my friends anymore. I have to pretend I don't have a phone. And I'm not allowed to have any guy friends or even talk to any guys. And I can't wear certain clothes. Yes, these clothes are small, but when I get ready he tells me they're slutty and I have to change into something too hot for the weather and watch other girls walk around in smaller outfits than my original one. And he gets angry out of nowhere and starts to ignore me or interrogate me. I've even had to tell him I slept with guys who I didn't actually sleep with, just so he would leave me alone about it. And he thinks I still will get with them, even though I have no contact with any guys. But he talks to girls and in messages I've seen him ask them to hang out, give out his number. And there was one he wouldn't even let me see. I wonder if he's cheating, because he won't even hold me anymore or let me cuddle with him.
But here's the thing: every time I try to leave, or tell him I'm going to, he apologizes and promises that he will change, and he tells me he really does love me, he can't be without me, and he would do anything for me. And for a little bit, he acts like it, he treats me nice, he holds me, kisses me, tells me good things, says he's sorry. Then it always goes back to how it was, and he interrogates me and disrespects me.
What do I do? Is this abuse, or is it just a rough patch or something? How do we get out of this vicious cycle?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.