My 39 year old daughter is mentally ill and non-compliant with medications. She has had approximately 17 psychiatric hospital admissions, and 7 suicide attempts. She has had the Diagnosis of: Schizoaffective disorder, Schizophrenia, BiPolar,and Borderline Personality Disorder. She takes her medications sometimes but then does her own self prescribing because of the side side-effects. Then, she just goes off the wall.
She has horrible anger and rage towards me. One of the reasons was because I supported her son's father and his wife to gain full living custody. Her son was 8 at the time and he is now 18 and doing great!!
My daughter now lives with my husband and I and is very isolated. She is again hearing voices through the TV, radio and computer. We have no control over her behavior. She goes into horrible, irrational anger rages towards both of us, but she it's worse towards me. She won't listen to us or go to Therapy or to a doctor.
Our experience has been that, if I call Mobile Crisis, they take her to the ER, but, if she's not suicidal or homicidal, they won't admit her. My husband doesn't want to "kick" her out because she has no money and no place to go. We are both elderly and feel so trapped. We worry about what will happen to her after we are gone. We are members of NAMI and all we get from them is a lot of compassion.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.